Well our southern vacation began just over a week ago. We hurried out of New York, heading south to miss yet another possable snow storm. On our first night we made it to Belden Hills Campground just as the sun set. They were scheduled to open on the first, I called while at work and asked if they would mind our spending the night there, and he graciously said yes. So we were off, we got home at 4:30 and were on our way by 5pm. It was a dry drive to the campground. We would have a quiet night but Chey thought she was there to bark at all the deer living in the field around us. She cried and whined hoping to get us to let her out to play with the deer. So sleep was not a part of our stop.
The next day we headed for Lickdale, it was only a few hours as it was supposed to be our first stop. The truck traffic at the campground was noisy, although I did not notice it. Tom said it kept him up! We did not unhook, just got some fried chicken at the store and had dinner and relaxed.
First thing the next morning we were off to Virginia's Shenandoah Mountains. All I can say is what a beautiful area. Not only do they have beautiful mountains, but the farms and valleys are pristine. The campground is woodsy and had a beautiful waterfall,
with a creek running thru it. The only complaint about Shenandoah Valley Campground was that the sites were small and close to each other. It was windy while we were there and we were not comfortable having a fire as it was so close to our trailer. We set up and headed out for dinner, ribs, chicken, shrimp all the things that make you think south. The restaurant was called Rackem Sackem Ribs, very good meal. The next day we were off to The Blue Ridge Parkway, it is full of beautiful views of the mountains and valley below. Laura loved riding with me, daddy calls her our truck puppy, she loves it! We rode for a few hours and then escaped the parkway to grab some lunch. Our first Hardees ever. It was ok, for fast food. People here are amazingly friendly and helpful. I can't think of a place that when entering with the wheelchair somebody did not help us. Awesome! After lunch we went back to the camp and relaxed. Had a nice relaxing evening.
The next morning we were up early and off for Skyline drive in Shenandoah National Park, yet another beautiful drive. Although the mountains are still bare from the long winter it is beautiful! Gives you a differant view. The national park is said to be loaded with animals. Within the first few miles of our drive we met several deer crossing the road. I stopped so Laura could see them. Chey was up and barking at the deer, who just stood there and stared at her. We went about 50 miles of the parkway and spent almost the whole day there. It was awesome but very long at the same time. I don't believe that anyone could drive the entire 110 miles in one day, it was exhausting and beautiful all in one.
I must say this is a place that I would enjoy much more without a child in a wheelchair. A place that needs to be seen from the numerous trails, I am sure we missed the best parts of Shenandoah. Don't get me wrong, I would not give my life with Laura up for this or anything. Let me just say, it is one of the things I miss about my single life. Just to have the ability to chose to hike down one of those trails to see a differant vista or waterfall. What it will it be like, to see the national parks in this country with a child in a wheelchair will be differant for us. Our experience will be from the road side! It is what it is! I am sure we will love experiencing the parks together but I will always feel we may have missed something.
When we left Virginia we were ready to go, maybe not north but we had seen what we came to see. I would love to come back someday when the leaves and flowers are in bloom. The season is late here also, the very nice lady who cut Lauras hair told me that usually by the first week it is in full bloom here. So we leave beautiful sunny Virginia and headed north.
Here we are at Twin Grove Rv park, getting ready for our visit to Hershey today. I must leave now to get that kid ready!
No comments:
Post a Comment