Friday she was up by 5am, I found her in her wheelchair at the foot of my bed, waiting impatiently for me to get up and give her, her presents. We did not spend much, I even shopped in a thrift store, she got a new Christmas outfit, a canoe with three stuffed snowmen in it "Us", a Christmas movie, and a book. As always Laura was happy with all of them, she is so easy to please, only because stuff means nothing to her. I only wish I could think like that, she just likes to open gifts and the party is, so everybody sings Happy Birthday to her.
So we cooked and enjoyed the day with each other, until later in the afternoon. When she had to get ready to go out with Mommie and Scott for dinner. The first few years I was with Tom and Laura, we rarely saw her mother. But a few years ago she resurfaced after she met her new boyfriend Scott. He works with handicapped children, so he has proven to be another blessing in Lauras life. Mommie only comes to get Laura when Scott is available, I will never understand how you can be someones mother until they are 18 and then suddenly be unable to care for them alone. Seems bizarre to me, but that is another story. Anyway they went out to dinner, Tom and I snuck out to get a few last minute things and have a qick bite to eat alone.
Thruout the entire day I am always surrounded by people, such a Lauras sitter Becky. By 9am she was here and sat and mostly watched Laura and I cook, sure she did her chores, give her pills, checked her bloodsugars, but for me I wish we could have been alone. The way the system for her care is set up is difficult. If we do not give Becky enough work hours, she will have to go out and get another job and most likely we will lose her as our sitter. So I am always in a position where I need to comprimise my privacy, and it sucks. Becky is good for Laura, she takes her swimming and does most of her care when she is here, but I still would prefer we could be left alone, just imagine having someone in you house 90% of your awake hours during the week, no fun!
Anyway Saturday Laura was at the foot of my bed even earlier, excited about her party. Tom fixed all of us a nice breakfast, I had my coffee and sat and vegged for a few hours but then we hit the floor running. I had to do the usual last minute cleaning, not my preferred job. I have two sisters that are clean freaks, not me. I think life is way to short to spend it cleaning the house, so I only do what I have to do to make the house presentable. Once the cleaning was done then I set up the buffet and put the last minutes touches on the house, while Laura sat anxiuosly awaiting her party! Thats her, waiting for the floor to dry.
Soon after that the party began, in our little 800 square foot house we had about 20 people, all of which showed up at the same time, even though I tried for an open house. Oh well it worked out fine and she loved all the attention, gifts to open and having every one sing Happy Birthday! She had a special visit from one of her old school aides, Miss Eileen.. It was short but sweet she was all smiles thru out the day! Laura is very easy to please, at the end of the day, I asked her what was the best part of her Birthday weekend, she said, "I liked my party" simple and beautiful, young lady! Love her so much!
I am more convinced than ever that life is a journey and therefore we are all life-learners. We learn from our parents and we teach our children; but the best part of learning is what our children teach us.
ReplyDeleteYour blog is a wonderful description of Laura and it speaks so beautifully of your heart! Keep the stories coming, please!